Monday, 8 November 2010

Marine life in Gordons Bay

Swimming in Gordons Bay
Watercolour, Chinese Paint, Craft Glue, Sand and Barnacles
76cm x 57cm

In this piece I want to capture the landscape with different elements on the same page. The painting is  a landscape layered with features that define it. This is partially influenced by an Australian artist called John Wolseley. I visited his exhibition recently in the Roslyn Oxley9 Gallery in Sydney. Wolseley is inspired by the natural world and immerses himself in it to create wonderful layered beautiful documentations. I was inspired to approach Gordons Bay like this as this area is synonymous with its marine life. In painting this landscape I felt that the diving trail and marine life is intrinsic to the perception of the place. I wanted this to be central to the piece so i painted fish found in the bay along with the map lines of the scuba diving trail.  The painting also has sand and barnacles collected from the beach.

1 comment: